sisters-4-sisters (Islam in Ireland)
Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire

2 posters

Go down

The need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire Empty The need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire

Post by Admin Thu May 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Asalam alaikom sisters

I was asked to find out about the need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire. It is mentioned in one of the Fiqh-us-Sunnah books but it is not clear. Particularly with BBQ's we need to know the ruling on this. Also, is it specific to food that has been touched by fire or will charred grilled food come under the same category?

If anyone has any information on this, could they please post it. Insha Allah when Sheikh has recovered we will put the question to him.

May Allah cure him, reward him, forgive him and bless him. May we all meet for a big BBQ in the gardens of Jennah.
Amin

Carima
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 634
Comments : Where is Allah? Who was Muhammed? What is your book?

Back to top Go down

The need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire Empty Re: The need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire

Post by Presious Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 am

Asalamu Alaikum,

After studying this i have not come across any Fatwa regarding this particular issue, the meat that we would have to do make wudu after would be the likes of Camel meat, what would be the difference in BBQ meat it's only meat cooked in a different way, that would not be in the Fiqh books, and it should not come under any rulings as it is only meat cooked with fire, in Rasul's time they would have cooked in the same way, there is an Hadith about eating hot food and waiting until the steam has come out of it as not to hurt ourselves, but Allahu Alim ask the Shaik, but i have never came across it, when doing a BBQ in the Masjid at special events we do not have to make wudu afterwards and the Shaik has never said anything during his Khutba and Allahu Ta'ala wa'ilm
Presious
Presious

Female Posts : 72
Job/hobbies : Seeking Knowledge
Hajj : Geat sence of humour

Back to top Go down

The need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire Empty Re: The need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire

Post by Admin Fri May 14, 2010 11:24 am

Asalam alaikom Precious

I think you have misread what I wrote.

This is not about making Wudhu AFTER eating. I know about after eating camel's meat. This is about making Wudhu BEFORE eating "food touched by fire". It is definitely mentioned in the Fiqh-us-Sunnah books (Volume 1 on Purification and Prayer) insha Allah I will put the full details in later today, but it is not clear which ahadith it is based on and whether they are sahih. That is why I was asked to ask the Sheikh.

My mother-in-law puts meat on a skewer then turns on the gas and puts the meat right into the fire, which is different from BBQ or grilling where the food is not actually "TOUCHED" by fire. So insha Allah we'll ask the Sheikh.

Carima
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Presious Fri May 14, 2010 11:53 am

Asalamu Alaikum,

Sorry Carima BEFORE, i read the Fiqh Book based on this Hadith, then i went to the book Sunan Ibn Madjah which is qouted in saying this hadith, the Hadith is hasan (strong) the footnotes explain that it is not mandatory but recommendatory, but according to Shaik Ahmed Shakir also holds the theory that this hadith simply means washing the hands and mouth and not performing the formal ablution which is not mandatory, and Allahu Ta'ala wa'ilm .
Presious
Presious

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri May 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Salam alaikom Precious

OK. I am quoting directly from the translation that I have:

Fiqh-us-Sunnah Volume 1, Chapter Ablution. "Said Ibrahim ibn 'Abdullah ibn Qaridh, " I passed by Abu Hurairah while he was performing ablution and he said, 'Do you know why I am making ablution? It is because I ate some yoghurt dried over a fire, for I heard the Messenger of Allah say,'Perform ablution before eating food touched by fire." (Related by Ahmad, Muslim and "the four".)"
'Aishah related tha the Prophet, upon whom be peace, said "Perform ablution from whatever touches fire" (Related by Ahmad, Muslim, an-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah). This order is one of preference as the following hadith makes clear:'Amr ibn Umayyah adh-Dhamari said, "I saw the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace cutting a piece of a sheep's shoulder and eating it. He was then called to prayer. He put the knife down, prayed, and did not perform another ablution." (Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim).

Subhan Allah just by going over it to write it out for you it has become clearer to me. I gather that it is recommended but not obligatory.

I still think I need to ask to Sheikh because I was asked to find out, and I'm afraid to take it upon myself to decide about BBQ's, Shawarma etc because there is difference in something being cooked by indirect heat and something being touched by fire. And Allah knows best.

But it is interesting isn't it?
Carima

Last edited by Admin on Fri May 14, 2010 12:25 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Presious Fri May 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Asalamu Alaikum,

Yes no problem, you need to clarify this for the sister without a doubt, here are more Hadiths regarding the subject Iinshaa Allah T'ala..

It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Prophet Sallallahu aliayi wa Salam said: "Perform ablution after eating that which ahs been changed by fire" Ibn Abbas sais,"Should i do ablution after (touching) Hot water he sais 'O son of my brother, when i narrate a Hadith of the Messenger of Allah Salllahu Aliayi Wa Salam to you, then do not try to make ant examples of it (Hasan)

Comments about this Hadith: That has been changed by fire means anything that has been prepared by cooking or frying on fire.

It was narrated that Aisha said: " The Messenger of Allah Sallallahu
alaiyi Wa Salam said: " Perform ablution after (eating) that which has been changed by fire", (Sahih).

Comments for this Hadith: Ahadith included in the next chapter i.e the above would clarify that the command is not mandatory, which is to is to say that performing ablution after eating recipes cooked on fire is recommended and not fard.
Presious
Presious

Back to top Go down

The need to make Wudhu before eating food touched by fire Empty ANSWER FROM SHEIKH

Post by Admin Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:49 am

There are two separate issues: the command to make wudu after eating camel meat and the issue of making wudu after eating cooked food. There is a specific command to make wudu after eating camel meat.
As for cooked food, in Sahih Al-Bukhari et al, the Prophet – peace and blessings be upon him - told us to make wudu after eating “what has touched fire’ but it is also established in Sahih Muslim that he ate cooked food and then prayed without making wudu. This shows that it is recommended to make wudu after eating cooked food (by whatever means) but not obligatory. This is what numerous scholars have explained, including Shaykh Ibn Baz and Ibn Uthaymin – Allâh have mercy on them.

Full stop
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down