sisters-4-sisters (Islam in Ireland)
Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those excused from fasting

3 posters

Go down

Those excused from fasting Empty Those excused from fasting

Post by Admin Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:01 pm

The Traveler

If the Muslim travels a short distance, which is forty-eight miles, the Shari’ah has
allowed him to break his fast, under the condition that he makes up the fast that he
broke when he returns to his homeland. This is due to Allah the Almighty’s
statement:
“So Whoever was ill among you or on a journey, then (he must make up) the
number (of days) from other days.” (2:184)
If fasting during travel is not difficult for him, then he should fast and that would be
better. If fasting (during travel) would be difficult for him, then he should break his
fast and that would be better. This is due to Abu Sa’id Al-Khudri’s statement, may
Allah be pleased with him:
“We used to travel for war expeditions with the Messenger of Allah (Peace and
Blessings be Upon Him) during Ramadhan. So some of us would fast and some
of us would not fast, and the fasting person would not be angry with the one
who was not fasting. Then they thought that the person who had the strength
would fast and that was good. And they thought that the person who felt weak
would not fast and that was good.” (Muslim)

The Person who is Ill
If the Muslim becomes ill during Ramadhan, he considers if he is able to fast without
any extreme difficulty. If so, then he fasts. If he is not able (to fast without difficulty),
he breaks his fast. Then if he expects to recuperate from his illness, he waits until he
recuperates and then he makes up for whatever days he did not fast. However, if he
is not expected to recover, he breaks his fast and gives charity for each day that he
does not fast by giving a Mudd of foodstuff, meaning a handful of wheat. This is due
to Allah the Almighty’s statement:
َ
“And as for those who can fast with difficulty, they have to feed a poor person
as compensation.” (2:184)

The Elderly Person
If the Muslim man or woman reaches the extreme old age, at which they do not
have the strength to fast, they may break the fast and give charity for everyday that
they did not fast, by giving, a Mudd of foodstuff. This is due to the statement of Ibn
Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him:
“It was permitted for the very elderly man (or woman) to feed a poor person
for every day (that he did not fast), and he did not have to make up for the
days.” (Ad-Daraqutni and Al-Hakim, who graded in Sahih.)

The Pregnant and Breast – Feeding Woman
If the Muslim woman is pregnant and she fears for herself or the child she is
carrying, she may break her fast. Then, when her excuse has gone, she makes up for
missed days of fasting. If she is wealthy, she should give charity with a Mudd of
wheat along with each day that she fasts. This will be more complete for her and
greater in reward.

Likewise is the ruling in reference to the breast-feeding woman if she fears for
herself or for her child and she cannot find anyone to breast feed the child (for her),
or if the child will not breast-feed from anyone other than her. This ruling is derived
from the statement of Allah the Most High:“And as for those who can fast with difficulty, they have to feed a poor person as compensation.” (2:184)

For the meaning of “Who can fast” is that they are able to do so, however with
extreme difficulty. So they break their fast and make up for the days or feed poor
person (for each day).

Taken from http://www.ilmpath.com/free/Ramadan-ebook.pdf

Important Notes:
Whoever delays in making up for the missed fasting of Ramadhan without an excuse
until the next Ramadhan comes upon him, then he must make up of fasting.
Whoever dies having fasts to make up, his responsible heir makes up for the owed
fasting on his behalf. This is due to the Prophet’s statement:
”Whoever died while having fasting due upon him, his responsible heir fasts on his
behalf.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

There is also the Prophet’s statement to the person who asked him:
“Verily my mother dies and she owed a month’s fasting that she did
not make. Should I make up for the fasting on her behalf?” He replied:
“Yes, the debt owed to Allah has more right to be made up.” (Al-
Bukhari and Muslim
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 634
Comments : Where is Allah? Who was Muhammed? What is your book?

Back to top Go down

Those excused from fasting Empty Re: Those excused from fasting

Post by butterfly Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Wa alaikum salam,
Regarding, those excused from fasting, I find some Muslims to be very judgemental in relation to a person's reasons for choosing not to fast. Personally, I have fasted many times when I was pregnant and there was generally no problems but on one occasion I was actually lying on the kitchen floor vomiting into the mop bucket as I couldn't make it to the bathroom, my son saw me and began shouting at me saying 'Mammy, you don't have to fast, you're sick, what are you doing'... SubhanAllah, I realised that Allah wasn't making me do this, it was myself, I wanted to be PIOUS, to remain on my high-horse as a 'GOOD MUSLIM', not someone who would take the easy route...But the fact is that Allah does not expect a sick person to fast...At the moment there have been a few complications in this pregnancy, including a painful bladder, I am awaiting test results. So, sisters, please do not judge those who appear to always take the easy road, if the easy path is halal- then why not...There is a hadith which states that
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Religion is very easy, and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded.”
-- Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 1, Hadith 38

butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Asalam alaikom

Butterfly, that's interesting. I actually got married in Ramadan and we travelled to London so I could meet some of my new in-laws. My husband's uncle in particlar was very vocal that we should not have broken our fast, that times were different and travelling is different now from the time of the Prophet (saws).

When I met him again several years later the same man was not only drinking wine but contending that it is not forbidden in Islam!!!!

If you fast to please others when you don't think you need to fast then you won't be rewarded anyway because your intention has to be to fast for Allah alone. I'm reading an interesting book and it covers how some halal things can become haram if the intention is not right! Also there is a hadith (Presious - help!) where one of the companions entered on another one who was eating and explained the reason for breaking his fast was because his little finger was sore!
C
Clare
Clare
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 625
Comments : CLEANING + TIDYING = HAPPY HUSBAND
=>
HUGS + ATTENTION = HAPPY WIFE
Job/hobbies : Arts and crafts
Hajj : Did it when I was about 5 years muslim. I found the constant moving around form one place to another to be very unsettling. But alhamdililah I got to touch the Qaba. Medina was wonderful. The trips between Safa and Marwa most enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:31 pm

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has relieved the traveller of the obligation of fasting and half of the prayer, and He has relieved the pregnant woman and nursing mother of the obligation of fasting.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 715; Ibn Maajah, 1667; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 575.

I found this hadith MashAllah, I was intending to intend to fast every second day if I can, but if I can't at least I have a hadith to back up my view. InshAllah I'll start working on a plan of good deeds and study and memorizing the Qur'an inshAllah- SubhanAllah, Allah is the most merciful...La hawla wa la quwatta illa billah...

Last edited by Clare on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Coloured font is reserved for moderators)

butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Salam alaikom sisters

Butterfly it's great to "see" you again - we missed you.
:cheers:
Clare
Clare
Clare
Admin
Admin

=>
Hajj : Did it when I was about 5 years muslim. I found the constant moving around form one place to another to be very unsettling. But alhamdililah I got to touch the Qaba. Medina was wonderful. The trips between Safa and Marwa most enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Clare Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Sahih Al - Bukhari Hadith
Volume 8, Book 73, Number 149:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

A bedouin urinated in the mosque, and the people rushed to beat him. Allah's Apostle ordered them to leave him and pour a bucket or a tumbler (full) of water over the place where he has passed urine. The Prophet (sallalahu alayhi wa salam) then said, " You have been sent to make things easy (for the people) and you have not been sent to make things difficult for them."
Clare
Clare
Admin
Admin

=>

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum