sisters-4-sisters (Islam in Ireland)
Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celebrating birthdays is not allowed

3 posters

Go down

Celebrating birthdays is not allowed Empty Celebrating birthdays is not allowed

Post by Admin Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Question
what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer
The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115

Taken from http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/1027/birthday
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 634
Comments : Where is Allah? Who was Muhammed? What is your book?

Back to top Go down

Celebrating birthdays is not allowed Empty Re: Celebrating birthdays is not allowed

Post by dj_hyper1985 Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:04 pm

thank u for putting this up. i actually didnt know this. but now i do so inshallah that allah can forgive me and i can make a stronger deen. ameen
dj_hyper1985
dj_hyper1985

Back to top Go down

Celebrating birthdays is not allowed Empty Re: Celebrating birthdays is not allowed

Post by Clare Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Asalam alaikom sisters

Subhan Allah it is amazing - truly the reminder benefits the believer. We should never assume any one knows the same amount or the same things as we do ourselves. I remember years ago I was a Foroige leader and one of the problems was the Secretary actually couldn't write but we assumed he could and didn't know why he wasn't doing his job.

Also I remember a discussion with a brother about homosexuals and he was saying that you have to give them dawah first before you condemn them - maybe they will fear Allah and abstain from immoral behaviour. You never know, and Allah is all-knowing, Aware.
Clare
Clare
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 625
Comments : CLEANING + TIDYING = HAPPY HUSBAND
=>
HUGS + ATTENTION = HAPPY WIFE
Job/hobbies : Arts and crafts
Hajj : Did it when I was about 5 years muslim. I found the constant moving around form one place to another to be very unsettling. But alhamdililah I got to touch the Qaba. Medina was wonderful. The trips between Safa and Marwa most enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down