sisters-4-sisters (Islam in Ireland)
Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Asalam alaikom

Please login to get to the "members-only" sections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sweet taste in mouth while fasting

3 posters

Go down

sweet taste in mouth while fasting Empty sweet taste in mouth while fasting

Post by shahada Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 pm

salamalakum,#

i wonder if anyone has experience of this
usually each year when fasting i have a horrible taste/oder in my mouth which would be normal when fasting,but this year i have a sweet tast in my mouth constantly for the last week or more,
last night i flossed my teeth really well just in case there was something stuck in my teeth ,so its not that.
has this happened to any of you and can anyone through some light on it
im thinking it must be a medical condition but dont think the doctor would understand the fasting side of things so im trying to find out what i can first
im sure you are saying be thankfull you dont have stinky breath lol but im thinking what if it was diabites or something harmfull
thanks in advance
shahada
shahada

Female Posts : 366
Comments : islam is perfect,muslims are not
Job/hobbies : hw
Hajj : yes

Back to top Go down

sweet taste in mouth while fasting Empty Re: sweet taste in mouth while fasting

Post by Admin Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Asalam alaikom

Sister my husband has diabetes and he says that the main symptoms are thirst and needing to go to the toilet not a taste in the mouth.

C
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 634
Comments : Where is Allah? Who was Muhammed? What is your book?

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:08 pm

http://www.doctorslounge.com/neurology/forums/backup/topic-3082.html
QUESTION
Started last spring when water started to taste "sweet" on the back of my tongue when I drank it. Didn't think much of it at the time. Now months later, it's much worse. I'm a 34 year old male and I have these symptoms daily. Seems to happen about 1-2 hours after eating a meal generally, but can happen if I've eaten nothing. Imagine chewing a grape lollipop and swishing it around in your mouth for a minute, then swallowing, then rinse your mouth with water. That residual taste is with me 5-8 hours a day, no matter what I eat. At first I thought it might just be a neurological thing, but the taste even makes my sensitive teeth ache, just like the chewed lollipop would, and my gums are a little sore when flossing, which they never were before.....
Typically no symptoms in the morning after I wake up, just a bad taste in my mouth, then it comes on one or two hours after I wake up and start moving around, or one to two hours after I eat, not right after.

ANSWER
Hi Opportunity,
I noticed that you stated you had been evaluated by an ENT, was a swab done (culture) by any chance to check for a strep infection? Do you have any other unusual symptoms for example, increased thirst, frequent urination, blurred vision, etc. ? Essentially I'm inquiring whether Diabetes has been ruled out as a causative factor as well. If evaluation for either of these disorders have not been done i would encourage you to inquire with your physician about both of these to rule them out as a causative factor.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by shahada Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:38 pm

thanks butterfly and carima for takeing time to reply
i dont think i have diabites
ive googled sweet taste in mouth and it says stuff about diabites but then when i google sweet taste in breath when fasting i come accross something called "ketosis"it is when you are carb-deficient which would make more sence as im starting to wear down now from the fasting and i have been over doing it recently,rushing around alot and dont being "lazy" so maybe my body is in ketosis inshalah it is that caus from wnat i can make out it means you are burning calouries but knowing my luck ill get on the scales and be bigger.
does anyone know anything about ketosis? this is the first time ive come accross it
by the way the taste is not as sweet now,last few days ive been mad hungry and have really needed to eat properly.
anyway not long left then back to normality
shahada
shahada

Back to top Go down

Post by shahada Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Ketosis is a natural process that occurs when fats are converted into energy by the body -- usually when there is not enough glucose (carbohydrates) to provide for the body's energy needs. Instead, the fat is broken down into energy, and "ketone bodies" are the molecular by-products of this metabolic process.

Ketosis may occur during fasting, after an extended period of exercise, or when a high-fat/low carb diet is followed. It can also happen during an illness when nausea and/or vomiting make it difficult to keep food down.

Ketosis in and of itself is not a harmful process and occurs among diabetics and non-diabetics.

However, when ketone levels become excessively high, a condition known as diabetic ketoacidosis, aka DKA, can occur.

Defintion Ketosis - Ketosis and Diabetes
shahada
shahada

Back to top Go down

Post by shahada Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:56 pm

shahada
shahada

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm

You can buy ketostix online or on ebay - they are a bit like a pregnancy test, just moisten with urine and they go purple if ketosis is taking place- The old atkins diet used to reccomend using them to be sure that you were burning fat BUT you can burn fat from around your heart and vital organs- so it's not something to be ignored...but inshAllah your symptoms will pass after Ramadhan...

butterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by shahada Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:30 pm

thanks butterfly,well my mouth is not as sweet now so i think its going now
ramadan is great but hamdulla its nearly finished as im wreacked
shahada
shahada